Hamilton College, Clinton, New York
Hamilton College, founded in 1812, is one of the oldest universities in New York State. The campus is noted for its historic architecture, tree-lined paths and intimate academic and residential spaces. Martin’s Way is the main pedestrian spine that runs through the center of campus connecting the contemporary south campus to the historic north campus. With heavy use and campus modifications over the years, Martin’s Way had become visually disjointed and worn.
The College selected Saratoga Associates to redesign this principal corridor and create a clear and visually unified promenade from one end of the campus to the other. The new red brick path creates an identifiable pedestrian spine to the campus. Informal outdoor community nodes for seating, dining, and campus activities are added at building arrivals and walkway junctions. Artfully designed details complement the walkway, including decorative street furnishings. Broad sculpted masonry edging around the path add accent define a quite elegance and sense of space. The corridor accommodates service and emergency vehicles, bicycles, and meets ADA accessibility requirements.